Applied research is a cornerstone of Firefly’s work. We have an excellent team with a strong track record in all aspects of research.
- We provide robust evidence that is relevant to your needs
- We can disseminate research so that others can learn from our findings
- We work with clients to prepare articles for both peer review and journal publication
- We can present findings to teams, organisations and conferences
We tailor each project by selecting both qualitative and quantitative research methods, including:
- Focus groups and semi-structured interviews
- Questionnaires and surveys
- Participatory research methods, such as rapid participatory appraisal
- Delphi groups
- Scoping literature reviews and focused literature searches to examine best practice
- Collation and analysis of local and national datasets
- Data analysis, using Excel, Access and SPSS
- Involving service users and carers in scoping research and shaping research methods
We regularly undertake applied research work for and with colleagues from academic centres, including the Social Policy Research Unit, the Department of Health Sciences at the University of York, Hull York Medical School , Alzheimer Scotland Centre for Policy and Practice at the University of the West of Scotland and Leeds Institute of Health Sciences at the University of Leeds.
We have experience of seeking both Local Research Ethics Committee and Local Research Governance approval for studies within the NHS, and of obtaining approval from the Social Care Research Ethics Committee and local authority research governance committees.
We endeavour to conduct all our research in an ethical manner and pay particular attention to the implications of research for service users, carers and staff. An understanding of quality and diversity issues also underpins our approach to all our research and evaluation projects, including their design, implementation and analysis. However, for projects that require a more formal approach to equality and diversity, we have full knowledge of relevant equalities policy and legislation and can inform/undertake equality impact assessments